Millstone was incorporated as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on May 14, 1894, from portions of Hillsborough Township, based on the results of a referendum held that day. The borough was reincorporated on March 12, 1928 The borough was named for the Millstone River, whose name derives from an incident in which a millstone was dropped into it.
A historic district in Millstone, comprising 58 buildings, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The borough possesses a military significance for 1700–1749, 1750–1799, 1850–1874.
As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough’s population was 418, reflecting an increase of 8 (+2.0%) from the 410 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 40 (-8.9%) from the 450 counted in the 1990 Census.
Local GovernmentMillstone is governed under the Borough form of New Jersey municipal government. The governing body consists of a Mayor and a Borough Council comprising six council members, with all positions elected at-large on a partisan basis as part of the November general election. A Mayor is elected directly by the voters to a four-year term of office. The Borough Council consists of six members elected to serve three-year terms on a staggered basis, with two seats coming up for election each year in a three-year cycle.
Millstone is located in the 7th Congressional District and is part of New Jersey’s 16th state legislative district. Prior to the 2010 Census, Millstone had been part of the 4th Congressional District, a change made by the New Jersey Redistricting Commission that took effect in January 2013, based on the results of the November 2012 general election